CelebrityPWN is now a year old. Can you believe it? I present to you a birthday present for the site that everyone can enjoy:
1) Changes When Viewing an Individual Story:
- Added “Latest Stories” that show the latest stories added on the site
- Both “Similar Stories” and “Latest Stories” now have small thumbnails that can be enlarged
- Report Story button has been reworked, and is now more obvious with its own icon
- Behind the scenes changes as well that power users can appreciate.
2) Significant changes to the story promotion algorithm. I’d tell you what but I’d have to kill you.
3) New Profile Stats
- Site figures out your favorite celebrity
- Site determines whether you are a self promoting blogger or an actual fan of gossip. (There is a difference yanno)
- Top 5 biggest fans for your stories submitted and comments (limited to D-List Users or better)
- A complete overhaul for the profile page is due next time. I will be adding A LOT more stats in the very near future. Thanks to Wonder Rob for showing me the light.
4) The fresh stories page now hides who submitted the story. This will hopefully prevent people from just voting for their friends.
5) New banners added, YAY
6) Easier to Submit Stories than Ever before! Story Submission completely overhauled. Its much nicer and was heavily influenced by Digg.com and Mixx.com’s story submission process. Simply enter the URL of the story you want to submit:
- Automatically finds the picture from the website and lets you pick the one you want
- Automatically fills in the title
- And sometimes, even fills in the description of the story for you.
7) New “Add to CPWN” Buttons were created. Add them to your website immediately. They are so purdy!
8 ) “Add to CPWN” Bookmarklet has been created located on the tools page. You can now simply click this button when you are browsing the web and it will take you to celebritypwn and fill in the URL automatically.
9 ) Home page now lists 25 stories rather than 15 due to the amount of stories being promoted. You should be doing more reading and less clicking now.
Quickly, a few other things that I didn’t mention is the fact that our new host ServInt seems to be doing the job much better than my previous host in the past month or so. January was by far our biggest month ever and 2008 seems to be the year of the PWN. We are now ranked a top 100k site in the last 3 months according to Alexa. Our rank now hovers at around 96,000th and our average rank for the past month has been around 60,000th. This is a BIG deal for me and the loyal site users who stuck around since the beginning. Also, thanks to all the new users!
The time has come for CelebrityPWN to move home once again. We are moving from the shitty MediaTemple (gs) host to a smaller company called ServInt. What this means for you is a more responsive site and faster load times. At least this is what I hope.
If you encounter any weird errors or problems due to the move, then please let me know ASAP.
Also, its important to mention that I have been doing lots and lots of work on the website since the last update. I will mention all the changes in the next blog post.
Here is a special holiday update to reveal a new type of stat category, Social Stats, and a few other goodies. This has been in the works for almost a month now. Basically, social stats refers to how users interact with other users. We started with popularity, and we have now expanded it into which site users like and dislike you.
- Comment Social Stats
- Find out which user has voted the most for your comments
- Find out which user has voted the most against your comments
- Story Social Stats
- Find out which user has voted the most for your submitted stories
- Find out which user has voted the most against your submitted stories
- User Awards
- Voter of the Month
- Most Popular User of the Month
- Submitter of the Month
- Gossip Site of the Month - At the end of every month, the top gossip site with the most votes will get this award.
Want to see the new social stats in action? Take a look at cozgotti’s profile
It is important to note that social user stats are only available for users with D-List or better. Those of you who just signed up simply don’t have enough stats for accurate results. To move up from newbie status all you have to do is participate in the site with comments, voting, and submitting stories. Easy right?
The second thing to make note of is the fact that the stats for who voted the most for your submitted stories may not be 100% accurate. The reason for this is that at the beginning of this month I had to make a change for this to be tracked more efficiently. So even though you may have 150 stories submitted, we are only looking at stories from the 1st of the month on to select who is your biggest fan. (Biggest fan for comments does not have the same problem).
The social stats will be updated TWICE every month. On the 7th and 21st.
On another note entirely, we are quickly approaching Christmas. It was about a year ago to the day when I first started work on CelebrityPWN. I started this project as a learning experience and it has been an extremely challenging uphill climb. A year later and I am still actively developing the site, which is more popular today than I could ever imagine.
In a single year I have gone from receiving a measly 50 hits per day to 3,000 to 4500 unique hits per day. In fact, CelebrityPWN has been flirting with being a top 100,000 site at Alexa.com.
I look forward to seeing what the future brings in 2008 and want to thank all the users who have helped along the way.
CPWN has obtained exclusive pics of the oh so hot Jessica Alba enjoying herself at the Lakers/Warriors game at Staples Center with a gentleman and his brother. They were pretty flirty and into each other so I am going to drop a bomb for all the guys out there…she looks to be taken. If anyone can identify the lucky guy let us know.
The last time I blogged about new features was all the way back in late September. As you all know, changing hosts wasn’t exactly a smooth process. I also realize the site isn’t responsive at all times, for example you click to vote for something and it pauses for 5 seconds. That is due to my lovely host. :)
- Major CMS Updates
- gossip stories can now be edited for up to 24hrs after a post. (For those of you who make mistakes)
- users can now report stories. this helps prevent against spam posts, nonsense posts, and to censor nudity
- just like with comments, the power users moderate the stories they are alerted to
- modified how domains get created for being a “Most Popular Site”, this is now based on how many frontpage stories they get
- modified the way stories get re-promoted as a “hot story”.
- Public comments comments may now subscribe to the story to receive emails for all new comments posted
- Updates to profile include how many points left until next user class and what stories they are subscribed to
December also will hold a surprise and will reward user activity in different categories. Use your imagination. Also keep in mind that the Win a Microsoft 30 gig Zune contest is still open until mid December. Those of you who wish to be eligible, simply refer a friend under your login name.
Until next time :)
The world’s leading celebrity gossip site (in my head at least) has been down due to MediaTemple.net being a bad host. I won’t get into details, but it took them 36hrs to reply to my FIRST tech support request to which they gave me the wrong solution to fix it.
It was completely their fault and they are trying to make it better by giving me a few months of free hosting. So this taught me a lesson, good support is hard to find.
If you know of a web host that is similar to MediaTemple’s GridHosting package in the 20 to 50 dollar price range then please let me know.
I will be very brief here and just explain the situation. CelebrityPWN has changed hosting providers because we basically outgrew the last one as traffic kept increasing and site load time kept increasing as well. I thank http://www.digitalshell.com for their hosting and the people behind it.
MediaTemple.com is the new hosting place should load 2x as fast and have no downtime. This move will allow the site to grow much quicker plus allow me to work on other side projects as well with ease.
If you were logged in and saw a message on the top of the header that directed you here, its because your on the old site location. Each Internet Service Provider (ISP) has DNS that tells it where the website is located. Your ISP has yet to update it. This could take an hour or it can take 12, but for now if you make a vote or comment it wont be saved.
I will try to make another post before Thanksgiving and tell you guys about new site features. Until then, I have to finish with some other projects.
I am excited to announce our very first contest here at CelebrityPWN. The contest lasts from October 21st through December 15th. Participation is easy, all you have to do is refer your friend to sign up under your login name. For example, http://www.celebritypwn.com/win/YourLoginName .
The more referrals under your name, the better chance you have to win. Each referral is valid after they submit at least one comment.
So what are you waiting for? It’s about time you got an MP3 Player.
This is one of the biggest site updates for the site, so lets get right to the list of updates. . .
- Comment System October Update.
- Added the ability to flag comments as abusive. The comments with enough abusive votes will be moderated by the site power users. (Super Duper Cool Feature)
- Comment colors are now based on how many positive votes it has. The darker the shade, the more votes
- Comment reply border colors are based on how many positive votes it has. The border thickness will increase and the color green will become brighter depending on how many votes. (This should help guide your eyes go directly towards the more popular comment replies.)
- You may subscribe to a story and get notified via email of ALL comments posted from then on.
- Edit time for comments shows realtime how many seconds you have left before its too late.
- Added a nifty scroll-to effect when you reply to a comment.
- I also added a comment guide (that you can see here) to help new visitors understand it all.
- The Comment System is now FEATURE COMPLETE. It is now the best comment system in the history of the internets.
- Activity Graphs. Each user has an activity graph on their profile page. This shows their story posts, comments, and votes for the current month.
- Thumbnail Picture Update. Thumbnail pictures are now all uniform in size and look much neater. In some cases a thumbnail image can’t be generated, so now there is a place holder indicating this. There is also a border highlight around them to make them even more purdy.
- Its Green. The header image and logo has changed to green and now looks badass.
Till next time. :)
Unregistered users can now comment and vote on stories that are posted. This has been somewhat tricky because I want to avoid breaking the website. :) I encourage people to test it and report back any odd problems they might occur because this took quite a bit of re-writing of code (and head scratching) to make work.
If you want to be able to keep track of your voting history, message other users, vote for comments, receive comment notifications, or submit stories then you will have to register for the site.
Many of you might be thinking okay, so unregistered users can comment. . . So what? Well, this gossip site that I have created has NEVER been done before on any website. Not Digg. Not Reddit. Not Netscape. I have created the first hybrid user driven site that allows unregistered and registers users to co-exist.
As we all know, when you open up a system that doesn’t require registration, then things can go terribly wrong. Spam and/or inappropriate comments are some of the problems that are bound to happen. Surely, there must be a way to police all these comments without keeping the burden on just myself?
Of course there is, but I won’t spoil the surprise now. If (and maybe when?) the flood of comments come, I intend to be prepared. I will release another comment system update in September that will put the power in your hands.